Public Significance Statement
The use of the Graduate Record Examination Quantitative Score (GRE-Q) in psychology Ph.D. program admissions may interfere with the field’s efforts to create a racially and ethnically diverse workforce that can meet the educational, training, and intervention needs of diverse populations. In a study of psychology Ph.D. students in a Carnegie-classified Highest Research Activity (R1) large Midwestern university, we found that strict guidelines that bar admission into the psychology doctoral program for students with low GRE-Q scores would have disproportionately impacted underrepresented minorities (URMs), resulting in 44% being barred admission versus only 17% of their White/Asian/Pacific Islander American counterparts. With the COVID-19 worldwide pandemic sparking reappraisal of the GRE, practical implications include introducing holistic review protocols into the admissions process, while educating faculty on how heavy emphasis on the GRE-Q contributes to inequitable exclusion of capable URMs.
Following my CASBS Fellowship year at Stanford University (AY 2021-22) while affiliated with Wayne State University (Clinical Psychology and the Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute for Child & Family Development (MPSI)), I, Dr. Jennifer M. Gómez, will begin as an Assistant Professor at Boston University (BU) School of Social Work, Clinical Practice Department, and Faculty Affiliate at BU’s Center for Innovation in Social Work & Health (July 2022).
Therefore, I will no longer be recruiting graduate students for the clinical psychology Ph.D. program at Wayne State University (WSU).
The HOPE Lab
PI: Dr. Jennifer M. Gómez
Sample Questions for Campus Visit Interviews
To help all applicants be on equal footing in preparing for the campus visit, below are sample questions for the 30-45 minute interview with me:
Welcome! How has the day been so far?
We have a relatively short amount of time, so we can dive right in. I’m going to ask you a few questions, and then we’ll hold space at the end for you to ask me questions. This is designed for us to get to know each other, not to be an interrogation!
These things will evolve, but at this moment:
- What research projects are you most excited about doing—from limitations you’ve noticed in the work on CBTT so far to directions to take?
- Why Me as advisor?
- Why Wayne State?
- What would your ideal relationship with your graduate advisor be?/What are you looking for in your graduate advisor?
- What kind of career do you want to have after you earn your Ph.D.?
- What questions do you have for me?
Awards My Graduate Students Have Won
Wayne State University Dean’s Diversity Fellowship
Daeja Marzette (2019)
Wayne State University Graduate School & Division of Research $1,000 Grant to supplement her research activities. This award is based on her submitting a grant application to the Ford Foundation Fellowship Program, administered by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, & Medicine (NASEM; Pre-Doctoral Fellowship: $81,000).
Graduate Programs with a Trauma Research Focus
- Boston University (social work; Dr. Jennifer M. Gómez–beginning 2022; Dr. Dawn Belkin Martinez; Dr. Ellen DeVoe; Dr. Janice Furlong; Dr. Hyeouk Chris Hahm; Dr. Rachel Sonia John; Dr. Luz Marilis López; Dr. Donna McLaughlin; Dr. Ruth Paris; Dr. Judith C. Scott)
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (community health, Dr. Robyn Gobin)
- University of Georgia (psychology; Dr. Isha Metzger)
- University of Denver (psychology; Dr. Anne Deprince)
- Oregon State University (psychology; Dr. Kathy Becker-Blease)
- University of Tulsa (psychology; Dr. Lisa Cromer)
- University of Regina (psychology; Dr. Bridget Klest)
- University of California, Santa Cruz (psychology; Dr. Eileen Zurbriggen)
- University of California, San Diego (contact Dr. Carolyn Allard)
- Alliant University (contact Dr. Constance Dalenberg)
- Nova Southeastern University (contact Dr. Steve Gold)
- Western Washington University (Master’s degree only; Dr. Brianna Delker)
- Towson University (Master’s degree only; contact Dr. Bethany Brand)
- Penn State-Erie (Master’s in Applied Clinical Psychology, Dr. Melanie Hetzel-Riggin)
- ISSTD’s list of academic supervisors with trauma focus
- APA-Div 56’s list of trauma psychology graduate programs